Monday, July 13, 2009

Summer Visits

It's been so great to have my sister from Texas visiting this summer. She and her five kids came for our family reunion and will go home Saturday after girl's camp. She's been spending a lot of time with our Grandma compiling family history and recording stories, so we haven't spent tons of time together, but enough that we wish they didn't live so far away. Last night, three of my girls and two of my nieces decided to sleep out on the tramp. The result?
No, not multiple sprains: Little girls covered in mosquito bites, despite our dousing them with repellent. Guess it doesn't last all night. To keep them from scratching their bites to a bloody pulp, we've resorted to the ace bandage treatment. Anyone have a better suggestion?

After Father's Day, David's only sister and her two girls came for a visit.They were here for Lehi Days. Is that the right name? We went to the parade and I was so impressed. I'm used to the quaint charm of small town parades where you see the same horse teams and vintage cars year after year, so the amazing floats and marching bands were a fun change. The kids were just glad they threw candy.

Last week, my cousin's wife, Kris, who is one of my greatest friends ever and had the audacity to move to Washington, came to stay for a couple of nights with her three youngest while her oldest was at EFY. We had a great time. She's the kind of friend you can talk to for hours and never run out of things to say and wish you could go on indefinitely, but you know, we have to sleep sometimes now that we're older. We took the kids to BYU for the afternoon: went to the creamery, the fine arts museum and the natural history museum. Living so close, you forget what a big deal BYU is to members outside of Utah. I guess we take the things closest to us for granted sometimes.


Summer is 1/2 over now, and I'm tired from lack of sleep because I want to spend every minute I can with family and friends who only pass through my life in person during the summer. I'm sad that part is winding down, but I'm glad I have the rest of the summer to hang with the family that lives with me. And geesh! I better schedule a haircut ASAP! Dave has always had a thing for Farrah, but those feathered bangs are a little much.

4 comments:

Sammie said...

Rachael spent the day yesterday counting, recounting and finding new mosquito bites! What can you do? We need to have a game night soon! When was the last time we did that?

Grandma said...

You scared the bajeebees out of me. You could have at least given me some warning. These two little ones looked as if they had been in a war zone. So glad it wasn't any more serious and they are better.

Laura said...

You and Chris could be the next Charlie's Angels since you both have fabulous blonde hair and sexy teeth. Glad you are having such a great summer. When does school start for you up there? Pack in all the fun while there's still time!

Kris said...

Thanks for posting that pic of us. It was fun to visit. Next time, though, we get away! I am still looking into Education Week. Could be fun!!!