Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strawberry Jam and a Twist

I love making jam for my family. It tastes so much better than store bought and I love how it looks in my pantry. This spring I made a bunch of strawberry jam. Sarah, my sister, and April, my sil, came over and we had a strawberry party. I like to buy the low/no sugar pectin and add only two cups of sugar. The result isn't as shiny and bright as full sugar, but it has a much truer flavor and I feel so much better about feeding it to my family. Normal jam recipes have MORE sugar than fruit. Sarah brought a recipe for strawberry syrup that is so good on Dave's killer crepes. My kitchen was one sticky mess by the end of the day, but the results are so worth the clean-up.
So now the twist, Zucchini Jam. I participate in a monthly preparedness class with ladies from church and was asked to do a class on what to do with summer squash. So I pulled out the recipes my good friend Laura gave me and found this one for Strawberry Zucchini Jam. I think I made it once years ago when Dave and I were first married, but I used the whole squash and it wasn't that great. This time I peeled the zucchini and scooped out the seeds and liked it a whole lot better. In fact, a lady that came to the class swearing she could never eat any squash, was brave enough to try it, and said it was okay. It's not as good as the real thing, but does taste and smell like strawberry jam. I was thinking of making a batch with a green color of kool-aid for St. Patrick's. Would that be weird? Here's the recipe:
Strawberry Zucchini Jam
6 C grated zucchini
1 can crushed pineapple
1/2 C lemon juice
2 C water
1 pkg pectin
1 pkg strawberry kool-aid
Mix in a large saucepan and bring to a full rolling boil. Add
8 C sugar
Bring back to a full boil and boil for 4 minutes. Process in pint jars. Makes about 6 pints.

6 comments:

Jessica Renee said...

Your jam looks SO pretty! I hope I can do stuff like that one day.

Laura said...

I'm glad that you were able to use one of the thousand zucchini recipe's I gave you. My motto is "No one need starve if they can grow zucchini."

Unknown said...

Janette...so fun to see your blog! A good way to keep in touch with your neighbors across the street! :) Your jam looks delicious!

Grandma said...

Janette - I remember making this zucchini jam years ago. And, of course, I lost the recipe. Thank you for sharing and bringing back memories of days past.

Joy said...

green zuchini jam?
I think you should totally do it.

Amy Jones said...

So, I really need that syrup recipe. Any chance you'd share?